It’s been a while since I’ve done a day in the life type blog. I was curious to see how my typical life has changed since then. Although, truth be told, I blame this on JF Gonzalez. He asked me, because of the hours that I twitter, “when do you work?” The better answer to that question may be “when do I sleep?”

4:00 a.m. I’m awake. I sleep fairly randomly and I’m facing my regular decision: go into work now or annoy my wife. You see, when I’m wide awake in bed, I have to resist the urge to do something obnoxious … like stick my fingers in her nose. Actually, she’s learned to say “Quit” from a dead sleep if she feels me stir. Off to work.

4:15 a.m. Yeah, it’s a five minute commute to my lab. I probably ought to mention that I’m an environmental toxicology at Commonwealth Biomonitoring. On today’s work agenda: a Star Trek: The Next Generation marathon (“research” for an upcoming blog), five toxicity tests/bioassays, and I’m up to my elbows in biosolids (sludge) which I’m testing to make sure it’s pathogen-free so it can be sold to/used by farmers.

9:00 a.m. Staff meeting. Apparently a co-worker has decided to throw me under the bus.

10:00 a.m. Off to my pastor’s meeting. I probably ought to mention that I’m the facilitator (think administrative pastor) of the Dwelling Place. We meet with other pastors to coordinate our ministries and pool resources. All of my efforts to call this a “pastor’s sexy party” have been rebuffed. We’re planning out Holy Week (the week leading up to Easter) activities and adding an open mic night to our pizza night for the Bridge kids (homeless kids in the Broad Ripple neighborhood).

At this point in my day, I’m still half expecting my assistant, Lauren David, to drop by for tutoring in algebra.

12:10 p.m. Susan calls. Time for industry gossip, I mean, networking.

12:30 p.m. Lunch meeting at Yats. Dear white folks, I’m no longer fielding meetings at Panera’s. I know it’s your secret cabal of power, but I refuse to learn the secret handshake.

12:45 p.m. Kelli calls. More networking.

1:30 p.m. I assume the position to edit a story. As always, it’s important to get your feet set.

2:00 p.m. I wake up from my nap.

2:05 p.m. Chesya calls. More networking.

3:10 p.m. I’m once again late for picking the boys up from school. Now, chaos ensues (It’s that magical time from 3 – 5 p.m. that we call “Uh, let’s not tell mommy about this.”)

5:10 p.m. Teh wife comes home. Time for me to fix dinner.

5:40 p.m. Minor church crisis averted. For a change, it had nothing to do with me.

6:00 p.m. Because of my (forced) New Year’s resolution to drop a few things in my life, this evening is spent deciding only between going to Cub Scouts, going to Indiana Horror Writer’s meeting or popping back into work to check on a test (and have a conversation with said co-worker). Either way, I’m taking my notepad – I got blogging to do.

8:15 p.m. What’s that sound? Relative silence. The boys are in their rooms if not asleep.

8:25 p.m. Malcolm comes out. He has to pee.

8:30 p.m. Reese comes out. He needs water.

8:40 p.m. Malcolm comes out. Something about pee and Reese … I quit paying attention.

8:55 p.m. Real silence. That means … UNINTERRUPTED TV TIME (that blessed time when I can watch television and not have to explain to the boys the complicated relationships on Grey’s Anatomy or reveal that Damages is indeed convoluted, not complex). Plus, I’m doing a review for

9:15 p.m. I explain to my wife that Facebook time (even playing Scrabble) and e-mail check not only counts as quality time with her, but doubles as networking/business time. She explains something about her shoe and my behind.

10:35 p.m. Teh wife heads to bed. FINALLY, I can get some writing done. I stare at the blank page.

11:05 p.m. I do laundry, dishes, and straighten up the living room. Time to reorganize my desk.

12:25 a.m. My DVDs need rearranging.

12:45 a.m. Writing.

2:15 a.m. I think I’ll call it a night.

Another day of completely productive writing done.

If you want to make sure that I see your comment or just want to stop by and say “hi”, feel free to stop by my message board. We always welcome new voices to the conversation.